Friday, August 17, 2012

Foodie Friday: Crockpot Chocolate Cake

Hooray for the second installment of Foodie Friday! I told you all it'd make a return... eventually. A few weeks ago I was browsing none other than ol' trusty Pinterest and came across a recipe for what was pinned as "the most moist cake ever". It's no secret that I'm a cake/cupcake lover, and am all about delicious, moist cake. Bring it on!

I slightly tweaked this recipe and it came out so, so, so good. As for the look of it... we will deem this 'The Cake That Looked Like Booty but Tasted Amazeballs" or "The Ugliest Cake I Ever Ate".

My recommendations are to wait until the cake cools completely before trying to dump it from the crockpot. Obviously I was much too excited about the results of a freakin' cake from a crockpot (!!!!) and couldn't stand to wait. I would also wait to eat it until it cools as well. While it was absolutely delicious piping hot with melted frosting oozing down the slice, I had another piece last night and it was so much better at room temperature.

Normally I am all about completely sealing a cake in tupperware to keep it fresh, but with this cake I just wrapped foil around the plate it was sitting on and left it out. Two days later and it was just as moist as the first day.

Because of the texture of this cake, I think it would be absolutely perfect to use a white cake base and make your own sponge/Angel Food cake with. I think I've got a new idea!

Now for the moment you have all been waiting for...

**********

Crockpot Chocolate Cake

(Adapted from Mom's With Crockpots)

Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 2-4 hours

Yields: 24 servings (or 5 in our household)

Ingredients:

  • 1 box chocolate cake mix
  • 1 package instant chocolate pudding mix (small box)
  • 12 ounces fat free plain Greek yogurt (I love Fage brand)
  • 4 eggs
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
  • 1 cup water

Directions:

Spray crockpot with non-stick cooking spray. Mix all ingredients together and pour into crockpot. Cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 2-4 hours. (Mine only took 2.5 hours, but my crockpot's 'high' is really hot!)

Enjoy!

**********





**********